Monday, February 27, 2012

Fuzzy kids

I have two kids-  the furry type, that is.  Lola, "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets", and Hairy Potter, thro he has no resemblance to that burnette wizard with glasses. 

Lola


Hairy Potter

I have always loved animals since I was a baby.   We had even Simaese cats sleeping in my crib while I was a baby...(and yeah, I lived, so that Myth of cats sucking breaths from babies isn't real.)  We had cats, dogs, fish (and I'm telling you...MAKE sure that you don't get guppies with bigger colorful fins or you'd have to deal with baby guppies!), hamsters, guinea pigs, snakes, gerbils, etc.   What animals I didn't grow up with were ferrets.  Cute, but smelly.  Horses were in the picture, with a lot of bareback riding, apples and kisses.  Some of my relatives live on farms, so we have farm cats- feral, that is. 

Anyway, I have found interacting with animals more comfortable and enjoyable than with people, most of the time. After all, who'd kiss you with an unconditional lap of tongue or receive a contented purr from the chest while cuddling?  Also death came as natural, with the first dog being put down when I was very little, and of some cats disappearing, and of poking at cold bodies of hamsters; as well with new life, of a dog giving birth to 5 puppies, or of adopting two kittens. 



Watching the mother dog giving birth to the puppies was quite an eye-opener.  I experienced joy seeing the new puppies, but then despair when I found one puppy dead the next day.    A new mother cat, not yet dropping kittens, hovered around me, not wanting to give birth unless I could get a box and put it next to me.  I watched The Crosby Show, keeping my hand on the mother cat's stomach gently, as she gave birth to kittens.

Experiencing those, made me more curious about human repoduction, especially pregnancy and having a baby.  I started to ask family, "Where do babies come from?" Of course, we know the answers to kids...

Anyway, I do believe loving and taking care of creatures,that have hearts, helped me understand better of how babies can trust you, and to love you unconditionally, and to expose worlds overlooked, and that was what I looked forward to, for a start.  


One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment